Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A day in Singapore

I was extremely impressed with Singapore. The city is spotless, the downtown vibrant and futuristic and with English as their official language no need to use hand motions to ask people where the bathrooms were. Unfortunately since I was only there for a day I wasn’t able to travel out to the islands just off of the coast but some of the beaches on East Coast Park were beautiful
A Japanese friend of mine told me she felt Singapore was plastic, plastic, meaning not natural, not real, or lacking culture in this context.
Perhaps the official language being English or the blend of a number of Asian, and European cultures contributes to that viewpoint. However, I don’t believe you can look at a culture and seek out the negatives. If you do that you'll always be disappointed. Occasionally the differences will smack you in the face but that wasn’t the case in Singapore. Singapore is a beautiful city with beaches all around and that’s hard to beat?\ my friends.
Basically, I landed in Singapore around 9:30 am went to meet the guy dropped off my passport to get my work visa for Indonesia then took the train to the beach. There I fell asleep for the majority of the day and then had some dinner and took the train to the airport.

 This picture is of one of the many mall entrances on Orchard Road and the first sign of a Christmas tree in Southeast Asia, though at 87 degrees Farenheit it didn't feel like Christmas in the Northwest
East Coast Park is shockingly located on the East Coast of Singapore City and though my cab driver told me the beaches here were nothing compared to the beaches on the island I found them absolutely beautiful.

Thankfully I was leaving the beach as this rain cloud came through.

I can't give a specific number but I would guess more than a half dozen connected large beaches form East Coast Park. I was standing on a rock walkway when I took this.


This fantastic looking dish is called Kway teow. Unfortunately I found it awful, looked great though.

No comments:

Post a Comment