Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Hanging out and watching David Beckham in Jakarta

I’m starting to find my feet a bit in this massive city. I teach four days per week Monday through Thursday two and a half hours on M/W and four on T/TH. Fortunately I’m on salary and don’t get paid hourly meaning I get paid my full salary while working about 1/3rd as much as I expected. That of course is fantastic because I am lazy as ****. The heat here can be unbearable at times and I need to get out of the city. Starting December 9th until January 2nd our school is being renovated so they will be postponing most of the classes. They aren’t entirely sure what this will mean for the staff and whether we’ll have to move to another school or just have extended paid holiday. Naturally I support the latter. Here’s a photo of my house, the park a few houses down and one of the major malls in Kelapa Gading...





In one of the most random events of my life I went and saw the LA Galaxy play the Indonesian National team last night. The "David Beckham tour" had people going nuts every time he came near the ball. The stadium is massive and can fit over 80,000 people which is bigger than all but two NFL stadiums. From the outside it looks incredible but on the inside many parts were not well kept and beyond trashy. I sat in the front row of the upper deck with my friend from Liverpool. He's a huge Everton FC supporter and loved seeing Landon Donovan. The biggest flags in the stadium supported AC Milan and Liverpool which I thought was a bit odd. This weekend I’ll likely go to a floating market, the national monument and national museum, and hopefully a water slide park………



No comments:

Post a Comment